When you create an overnight theater festival in 24 hours, the day after the inauguration, you may end up with an 8th, special bonus, presentation. With apologies and respect to Lin-Manuel Miranda and Jonathan Groff, 24/7, last night, presented the one and only performance of TRUMPILTON!
To the cast and crew of 24/7 2017 —
When a group of great artists reached for the sky
In the middle of January without any snow
With an art class sketching to the Boss’ Thunder Road
Look now – stuck behind screens – it’s a family flotilla
Completely oblivious to a dancing gorilla.
With their teenage son and his Notre “Dame”?
Finding lost friendship through the songs of John Denver
In a French maids’ outfit with Lord Smoocheroo
Like a one time showing of the hit Trumpilton!
Remember what you did last night, The Greatest Show on Earth!
Those of you who know, you know; those of you out of the know, will have to trust; those of you out of trust, will have to come to see for yourself.
The actors we have for his year are aces! (except for the jokers, and the queens, and kings, and, you know what, they’re all just cards.)
This year we are delighted to have the following actors jump into the unknown to bring you back gold.
- Donna Chabot
- Marissa Carioscia
- Tiffany Smith
- Julie Stavitski
- Mendy St. Ours
- Christina Henderson
- Julia Robertson
- Kate Adamson
- Priyanka Shetty
- Michelle James
- Sharon Miller
- Aly Brookland
- Ike Anderson
- Martyn Kyle
- Dan Stern
- Russ Witt
- Nick Heiderstadt
- Kevin Minor
- Michael Miranda
- Johnny Butcher
- Joel Alexander
- Winston Smith II
- Brandon Lee
A few things to mention:
- This is the highest percentage of new-to-24/7 actors since the first year when everyone was a virgin.
- Each year over 50% of the participants are new – this year those new to 24/7 is 83.3333333~% !)
The directors of 24/7 are often the unsung heroes — unsung, even in a musical. (that’s right, you never know what you’re gonna get in 24/7 – someone might write a musical overnight).
Directors get a random script and random cast and have to make it work. And they do. Oh to the yeah. Year after year.
24/7 is Jan 21, 2017. Nothing will be written until 24 hours before that. Then the directors read their script for the first time Saturday morning. Then the fun, action packed day begins – cast, designers, staging, timing, costumes, set, tech, all in one day.
This year we are honored to have the following great line up of 24/7 directors:
- Carol Pedersen
- Chris Kelly
- Claire McGurk Chandler
- Frank Saxons
- Liz Howard
- Richard Cooper
- Tracie Skipper
A few things to mention:
- Five of these directors will be directing their first 24/7 play.
- Tracie brings a designers touch to her directing – watch out!
- Chris once told me, “there’s always room for more ‘camp’!” – so watch out for that, too.
- Liz and Frank will be performing on stage in Guys And Dolls the weekend before, then turning their talents off-stage for 24/7.
- Carol has taught more acting classes than anyone at Live Arts, but this is her first 24/7.
- Richard jumped in hear first to 24/7 last year as and actor; and now feet first, from a higher level, he’s doing it again.
- Claire’s not scared of anything. As an actor, she has had some of the wildest roles in 24/7 history — including a big box store worker singing ballads about adult diapers to a post-modern-pre-appocalyse-cafe-server-dominatrix-type-person.
I meant, Nothing Is Written… Yet!
24/7 is Jan 21, 2017. Nothing will be written until 24 hours before that. The writing starts Friday night for our Saturday night shows. But when it is written, it will be written by this amazing line up of overnight sensations:
- Bryan Garey
- Cady Garey
- Doug Grissom
- Lance Stewart
- Larry Goldstein
- Lee Susen
- Marija Reiff
A few things worth pointing out:
- Marija will be writing for two (she will be 8 months, 3 weeks pregnant for this 24/7)
- UVA will be well represented with two faculty members this year, Doug and Cady.
- Three time 24/7 actor Lee Susen picks up the laptop to give playwriting a go-go.
- Live Arts founding member Larry Goldstein returns to 24/7.
- First time that two plays will come from one household: Bryan and Cady.
- Four new playwrights this year: Bryan, Cady, Lee and Marija.
- And three who have written once before, Doug, Lance, Larry.